Sunday, June 6, 2021

New season, Peerless Bam semiautomatic fly reel and Maxcatch Sky High 5 wt fly rod


I've had all my shots and I'm fishing again.  My legs are still weak but I'm still standing!


Out on the main part of the lake, this koi was prowling along the edge of the tall grass.


My new two sided fly box


Testing the Peerless Bam semiautomatic fly reel.  The real test will be a nice size carp


  • Package Dimensions : 6.06 x 5.35 x 3.78 inches; 3.53 Ounces
  • Item model number : 02.R80MRT
  • Department : Unisex
  • Date First Available : November 19, 2019
  • Manufacturer : PEESF|#Peerless Bam
  • ASIN : B071P9YS6L


Recommended line weight is 6


Side by side with the Vivarelli spool.  Bam spool is loaded with Orvis 5 weight fly lineThe Vivarelli Goldstar spool is loaded with Rio Single Hand Spey line  


Don't forget to buy the book.  It features all the lakes in NYC.  Each body of water is unique and
the history of each lake is fasinating.
 

Nice size crappie


My new Maxcatch 9 foot, 5 weight, 4 piece "Sky High" rod

 
My buddy Dennis tied this fly for me


A closer look at the semi automatic fly reel ( note the red handle).



The bluegills were attacking the "Strip tease fly" as it landed.  Maybe it is the orange
legs or the bead head.  I was surprised because it is not a top water fly!


Another one.


 

4 comments:

  1. Sir, How do you like that Rio Single Hand Spey line?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used it for years. This season I have been using heavier "Skagit type lines with heavy heads. I've been experimenting with the Orvis Hydros and the OPS lines. see my recent post. if you have any other questions,please ask.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry but I should have expanded my reply about Rio Single hand Spey Line. It is a good fly line. As I said I have used it for several years now without any complaints. If you are asking should you buy it, I say yes. I fish mostly in urban settings where there is no place to back cast. And the Rio SHS fly line is excellent for that purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok thanks,Sir I’ll pick one up. I fish a lot of lakes in Florida that don’t have much room to backcast so this will be perfect. Simon Gatesworth recommends this line for swinging soft hackles so I’ll use it also for that. Snap T here I come.

    ReplyDelete