Sunday, June 3, 2012

Suicide Carp fly fishing


 I fished a small pond in  New Jersey for carp this afternoon.  A fellow blogger named
John Montana called fishing with a 2 weight fly rod " Suicide Carpin" because fishing


 for carp with ultra light equipment is considered by most to be dangerous & extremely
difficult.  I too thought that a 2 weight would be no match for the power of a carp.  But
once you make the decision to bite off more than you can chew, you simply stick with it


until you fail or succeed!  Each of these three carp took the better part of fifteen minutes
to land.  This is my new 11 foot, 4 piece, 2 weight rod I had built by a buddy in Texas.
I bought the four piece blanks on e-bay.  I had wanted to use this rod to catch carp for
several weeks but due to foot surgery, this was my earliest opportunity.


I still need to have a screw removed from my foot.  So I expect to be down a few more days
before I can go full bore again.

2 Comments:

At June 4, 2012 at 6:24 PM , Blogger Gregg said...

15 minutes per fish Bill? Was the 2 needed for very spooky fish? In any case it looks like you did the job well. Best of luck on the foot, still healing from a leg injury in Feb. myself.

Gregg

 
At June 6, 2012 at 3:31 PM , Blogger The Great Lakes of NYC said...

No I like fishing with 2 wts. I can get the same results with an 8 wt but the 8 wt gives me more of an advantage. the advantage goes to the carp when I use the 2 wt.

screw is out & the sutures. wearing a pair of the KSO 5 finger vibram shoes. I like them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home