Sunday, June 28, 2015

Mamaroneck River fishing


Armed with my trusty 7 wt fiberglass fly rod,  I went searching for carp in Westchester County.
This time I headed to an old reservoir.  A few years ago I had caught carp in the Mamaroneck River.


It turned out to be another adventure in heavily over grown woods to find fish  that are being under utilized.  In my youth, I was a Boy Scout and I am comfortable in the wild as long as it's not too wild.
Please no predators!


A thirty minute walk from the train station and I was at another section of the Mamaroneck River.
The area is thick with bushes and trees.   Finding access to the river bank was not clear cut.
 After a decade, I'm still amazed to be able to find new places to fish that are not over utilized in the
Greater New York area.


I saw carp swimming and holding in the stained water ( If you see four there has to be more).
This is a fishery that should be fished in the spring when there is less foliage and less thorns,


 A look at a quiet deep pool of the Mamaroneck.


A lower section of the river where I found carp clooping.  And there were indications that Bass
had spawned here as well as bluegills.




The Mamaroneck River is a freshwater stream located in Southern Westchester CountyNew York.[2] The river forms in White Plains and Harrison and flows 7.3 miles (11.7 km) south through Mamaroneck Townand Village, where it empties into Mamaroneck Harbor and Long Island Sound.



2 comments:

  1. Just saw these in the Mamaroneck River today at Columbus Park. Your blog helped me confirm my suspicion that they were carp. Thank you. I also saw a smaller but wider fish "flashing" among the carp. Could have been a bass?

    ReplyDelete