Wednesday, October 14, 2015

First carp on the fly this fall



Sorry for poor quality of my photo but it was late in the afternoon and shadows were heavy.
I'm fishing in one of my favorite lakes for dry fly fishing.  At this time of the year the temperature
is cooler but fish are finicky.  They have been caught a few times and will take the time to inspect
your fly.  The koi are especially cautious.  I've seen them swim around my flies several times
and on the last pass turn and swim away.  I wish I knew what tips them off.


There was no wind when this carp took my fly.  It is intense because you can see where the
carp are clooping.  Many questions go through my mind as I watch my fly.  Should I recast the fly?
Should I leave it where it is?  Do I notice a feeding pattern?  Are my feet in the right position to make
an accurate cast?  I want my fly to land in an area no wider than a tea cup; putting my fly on the
table is not good enough.

Another reason I like this lake is that is that most of the time the water is clear and not dark.   Easy to
see a woolie bugger when it is being fished on the bottom.  Easy to use dog food as chum


No comments:

Post a Comment