Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Catching carp with ultra light equipment


Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.  Today I used a cheap 3 wt, fiberglass fly rod
to catch carp.  It is a 3 piece, 7' 6" slow flex rod. I really wanted to use my nine-foot graphite  rod
but I knew I would be casting with tree branches all around me in this spot.  So, the nine foot 2 wt was left at home for this trip.


After not having caught any carp in awhile, I set up to fish in Loeb Lake, one of the 5 lakes
located in NYC's Central Park.  My goal is to see how days I can catch fish before air
temperatures dip below 45F.   The sun heats the water here until 3:00 o'clock.  This is the time
when carp feed in this part of the lake.  Here the lake is secluded and quiet; which is what I want when I fish for carp.


Here is my 3 piece, 3 weight fiberglass fly rod with the carbon fiber, Franco Vivarelli semi
automatic fly reel.  I chummed with a ground bait.

No comments:

Post a Comment