Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Fall carp fishing eleven foot 2 weight fly rod




After fishing with my 11 foot 6 weight fly rod, I thought why not try something different?
So , I grabbed the sister rod of my 6 weight, my 11 foot 2 weight.  The rod is loaded with
4 weight forward line on the Maxcatch "automatic fly reel.  This is the first time for this rod and
carp.  I felt it would be okay since double-digit carp are a rarity here now.


I arrived at the lake late this afternoon.  This meant I had less than three hours to catch carp. Years ago
I fished this lake with my Japanese, fiberglass 2 weight.  I broke the spring on my Franco Vivarelli fly
reel that day.  But I have had years of experience fishing for carp using various fly rods since then.  I've become skilled at landing the fish on the mossy covered boat ramp.  It allows onlookers to see what I do and gives them an opportunity to photograph the carp.   




I feel like a matador, sometimes as I fight and bring in the fish while standing on the ramp
Bystanders stand behind me as I use my 2 weight.  Experience has taught me to be patient
and careful as I maneuver the fish to shore.  It seems that the smaller carp fight hardest.  People gawk
as the graphite rod bends and bounces.  I can hear the orchestra playing "March of the Toreadors"  


The Two Weight and the reel


 

2 comments:

  1. What type of fly are you using to catch carp?

    ReplyDelete
  2. pop ups made with fake corn that is buoyant and small split shot to hold it down. there is a photo in the blog about a few years back. I will post it again soon.

    ReplyDelete