Saturday, May 28, 2011

Urban fishing in New Jersey



Last week I made trips on the PATH train to
Bayonne and Harrison, New Jersey. The purpose
was to recon two ponds which are reported to
hold carp.



My first stop was at the almost unknown
Bayonne pond, in Bayonne, New Jersey. It is
a small body of water which holds channel catfish
and carp. I spent several hours inspecting the
pond and catching only one "pocket" channel
catfish.



The next day I headed to Harrison, near Newark,
New Jersey. There I found a pond loaded with
panfish and carp. All along the shore I saw
fish suspended.



In the north east corner I found what I had hoped
to see, carp. They moved slowly in the afternoon
sun. A few were still spawning.




There were a number of koi swimming slowly
in the water too.

No comments:

Post a Comment