Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Piker



I favor fishing for Northern pike during the
new moon phase. Over the years I have found
this to be the time that pike are looking for a
meal.



So Dennis & I got to the Passaic river for some
toothy fish fishing. Dennis had never caught
a pike on a fly. My experience has shown
that big salt water flies work best on the Passaic.
Although, Last year I caught a pike with a big
black gurgler, a surface fly.



We arrived about three hours before low tide.
Since Dennis had never fished for pike before
I gave him one of my favorite flies. I tied on my
gurgler fly hoping to repeat my previous success.
Within a quarter of an hour, Dennis had a pike
on line.



By the end of out time there He had caught
four pike each one bigger than the last. He was
thrilled with catching these water wolves.
He especially enjoyed watching them jump
out of the water and appear to stand on their tails.




I decided I would allow Dennis to fish alone this
day as it was his first time. Besides my floating
gurgler had stopped floating and there was another
fly fisher fishing for pike. Two's company, three's
a crowd as everybody knows and the space we fish
is limited. Pictured above is my equipment for
pike fishing: An 8wt March Brown Fly Rod, Franco
Vivarelli Goldstar semi automatic fly reel, Boca Grip,
box of big flies and tippets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home