Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Bronx in autumn



We had a problem getting to Van Cortlandt Park.
On the weekends here in NYC repair work is
performed on the subway and sometimes it interferes
with fishing here. We had to ride a shuttle bus
from 207th street to 241st street through Saturday
shopping traffic.




The park colors are changing just as the weather has
changed. There is a visible color change in the
foliage of the trees.



There is a hint of red and gold in the trees as
fall runs toward the winter.



There were feeding perch and crappie this
afternoon.



I was hoping to catch another carp here today.



For the most part geese and turtles kept their
distance.



Dennis, David and Anthony fished the entire
lake using spinning rods and "trout magnets".



I came, I chummed, I waited. Nothing happened.



At five o'clock I added some more grenades
to the water. Within ten minutes my line
started to twitch and then pull away in a straight
line.



The line became tight; the rod bent. I had a carp on.
It was heading to the north side of the lake. No turns
no head shakes, just a steady taking of line from
my reel. Dennis was surprised and started to
laugh. I yelled:"get the net from my pack"!

There was a jolt as I tried to slow the fish.
The pulling stopped. The line went slack.
The fish was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment