Monday, September 9, 2019

Carpin in September



I am still testing the limits of the Maxcatch fly reel.  Today I fished an older fly rod I bought
years ago.  It is a Browning "Backpack"  four-piece, 8 foot,5/6 weight.  Many fish have been
 caught with this rod in the past.


I underlined the rod with the four weight fly line.  It worked well and I netted
four carp with it.


The fish in the lake are small but they put up remarkable fights.  By "small" I mean compared
to the double-digit carp that were caught on a regular basis in past years.  So if you want to challenge your skills try fishing with nothing more than your trout rod for feisty, young, carp.


Some of the flies I carried this day.  Egg patterns, flies tied with the Mc Fly material, a couple of "Bobbie" type flies, a floating pellet and a #14 size deer hair fly in red.  Standard deer hair flies in size 10 or larger are not the favorite of the carp this season; for some reason.


So me and Dennis are experimenting with size, color and material used to make the flies.
I'm still looking for a material that will sink slowly through the water column like Mc Fly flies.


Here is an example of what I mean.  The two flies resting on the U.S. quarter dollar coin
are #14 and #12 deer hair flies.  Does size matter?  Yes.


Note, I included a #12 white woolie bugger in the lower-left box. I've caught numerous
fish, including carp with the irresistable woolie bugger. Some of the flies in my box are more
than ten years old but they still work.


Dennis with one of the five fish he caught.


Water Lillie


Catch and releasing

No comments:

Post a Comment