Saturday, August 31, 2019

Carp on Fenwick 535


I was still annoyed about Dennis and I being skunked a few days ago. So I returned alone
with an entirely different strategy.  I brought different flies and I planned to not use any
dog food as chum.  Carp have feeding patterns which they follow and I planned to
take advantage of their behavior.


The carp did not follow the behavior I expected but I took a chance and fished a pellet
fly in an area near the aerator in the lake.  More than thirty minutes past without any
sign of carp.  I sat on a bench near the edge of the lake and waited some more. 


Suddenly, the rod was yanked from my hand and was being dragged by the fly line
toward the lake.  I instinctively dove for the rod's handle.  I was on my hands and knees.
The rod was just inches from going into the lake.  My Fenwick, my Fenwick was all I was thinking to myself.  Somehow, I got hold of the rod.  My thoughts turned to the carp that had tried to
steal my rod.  The new reel didn't function the way I had hoped.  The drag simply S U C K E D.
I need to try to adjust the drag more.  It is not easy working with no instructions!



2 comments:

  1. Fenwick 535 would have been a tragic loss. Great story I bet you will have nightmares of this encounter for years :) Would have never crossed my mind to fish for carp with a 535

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Maxcatch reel is not a great reel for catching carp. It is basically a "line holder". There is no drag. All fly rod can be " underlined" or "overlined". By this I mean fly line can be as much as two line weights above or below the recommended line weight the rod manufacture recommends for the rod. Fiberglass fly rods allow the new fly fisher to learn to roll cast easier when the rod is "overlined" . I tests my ability to catch carp by underlining my rods to catch carp. This was just a test to see if I could do it. Just like fishing for carp with one of my 2 weights! Not recommended but doable.

    ReplyDelete