Friday, August 15, 2014

Passaic River near Hawthorne, New Jersey


This is another section of the Passaic River just north east of the Great Falls of the Passaic.
I'm walking the Passaic in search of Northern Pike, Carp and Smallmouth Bass all of which are
known to frequent this part of the river.


Access is here.  Originally I intended to fish an area near Radburn,New Jersey behind
Memorial Park but thanks to a chance meeting with a local fisher who highly recommended
the Hawthorne area; I walked to this part of the river.  My time to fish was limited by
the schedule of my returning to New York train.


I saw evidence of fish here and even evidence of feeding carp.  Unfortunately, I  had less than
ninety minutes to catch a fish; that includes trying different flies to see what works.


I fished back and forth at this part of the shore.  I had one hit from a small fish, probably a
Bluegill.  I saw several big swirls about 8 or 9 meters from where I stood.  I believe these
swirls were the making of big carp feeding just below the surface.  The walk back to the train
station would take about forty five minutes.  I just made the 7:45pm train.


I'm hoping to complete my survey of the river by the weekend; although we just had record
rainfall last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment