Sunday, March 20, 2011

It has started.



My buddy Dennis & I fished for carp this afternoon.
I provided the carp pellets, Dennis provided the
dog biscuits. We had the carp actively feeding on
the surface of the lake after about an hour.
That was the easy part. The hard part was getting
the clooping carp to take our flies.



Dennis hook one as soon as his presentation was
made with a 5X tippet. He found that even
winter carp are leery of a sixteen pound tippet.
I on the other hand was still stalking my first
winter carp. As I patroled the edge of the pond
I looked for tell tale signs of actively feeding
carp; tails, bubbles and shadows that move slowly
along the bottom of the pond. Some young carp were
actively feeding on dog biscuits but only in the very
middle of the pond.





I continued to search for feeding carp. I did
see the orange koi lurking in the deep part of the
pond, near the ponds edge. I was careful not to cast a
shadow on the water. Even walking too close
to the edge can spook carp.

2 comments: