Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Sixty degrees


This is a cove where I caught several carp last December.  The most notable was a fan tail
carp.  A fishing buddy caught a similar fish this fall near Bethesda Fountain.


It offers a controlled fishing zone for fishing.  It is quiet,calm and with the temperature at 60F
today it was pleasant.  Normally the air temperature is ten degrees colder.


Carp can be lured to feed here by chumming several days in advance.   I did see a few
bubbles here but left to fish in front of the fountain.


This is a view looking north.  An important factor in fishing for carp is to be able to locate
cruising lanes.  Cruising lanes are the search patterns that carp swim as they look for food.
When carp are in deep water; knowing the cruising lane helps you to catch a carp with the
help of an indicator above your fly.


There was fog on the lake.  I took this photo late in the afternoon but it appears to be morning.
There had been some drizzle too. See the moisture on the rock.

2 Comments:

At December 13, 2012 at 12:22 PM , Blogger Gregg said...

I agree with all you said. Though I don't chum I must admit it would help especially with winter temps and I have been tempted. I take it that with no carp picture you caught none.

Gregg

 
At December 14, 2012 at 7:14 PM , Blogger The Great Lakes of NYC said...

correct. chumming is a personal choice. It helps sometimes & sometimes it does not. I don't feel like I have an unfair advantage. If the water was clear chumming would not be necessary. No fish today either.

Bill

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home