Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Oyster Bay


Oyster Bay, on the north shore of Long Island has a pond called Mill Pond.


Here it is looking south at one of the few access points I found during my visit


There are Large mouth bass here as well as trout which are stocked here in the spring.


If you look closely you can see a bed where a bass has laid eggs.  I saw several of these nest
along the north shore.


But the real problem with this pond is that it is only June and the surface shows that algae
has begun to cover the west side of the pond


This is a closer look at the muck that is slowly begun to cover the pond.  In addition,
underneath the pond surface there is heavy weed growth.


It was so dense that I decided not to even cast a surface fly.  This is one of those places where
you need to be here before the end of May.


I may come back in early fall because I saw some big bass and it is reported to have carp.


I found few points of access to the water, except on the north shore.


No comments:

Post a Comment