Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Bronx River in Westchester


Soft hackle #12 under a Tarantula fly is what I fished during my first visit of the year to
the Bronx River.  Carp will take many of the same flies that trout take; so will young bass.


Last season Dennis and I both hooked carp on soft hackle flies.  Today was different I arrived
at 3:00pm in the afternoon.  There was not much feeding by carp but that may have been the result
of cooler temperatures and the huge snapping turtle patrolling the river bed.


I know of several places where feeding carp like to hold during the summer.


The river looked beautiful.  The water was clear with very little algae.  Raw sewage was still
being dumped into the Bronx River as late as 2006.  The water quality has improved steadily.




Leaves have started to change colors .


 Sleepers just resting in the river current


Fish continued to hold without feeding


 Moving but not feeding


Here a fellow fly fishing has caught a carp on  an egg pattern.  The fish was nearly two feet long and
was almost too big for the net.


I switched to my number one carp fly.  I caught a bass on a #12 white woolie bugger
but no carp would approach it



I moved to another pool on the river and caught several  panfish on a black Hares Ear


Sunfish

I caught a bunch of these. Too many to count!


small yellow perch


No comments:

Post a Comment