Sunday, October 16, 2016

Fly Fishing The Meer




I went up to Harlem to fish The Meer this afternoon.  I was surprised to not see lots of algae
on the water surface.  It was there but not in the concentrated amounts visible during the summer.


I'm still fishing with my fiberglass fly rod.


You can see from the picture that the water looks almost clear around the bird sanctuary.
Normally you can catch a few bluegill around the edges of this island using small
nymph patterns.  This afternoon , there was nothing here.


Looking north across The Meer.  This part of The Meer can hold panfish, including
Largemouth Bass.  The Meer has less invasive plants than Prospect Park Lake at this time.


There was some landscaping being done on the stream that connects the Pool
at 103rd street and The Meer.  They've widened and deepened this channel making, I think,
it look like a real stream.


Here it looks like a wild stream in a forest.  I wonder if panfish will become established in this
part.  I can imagine the Tenkara Bums frequenting this part of the park.


As the sun set, I arrived at The Pool.  Sometimes, Bass less than a pound will attack
anything that moves on the surface or submerged!  Recently a bass weighing more than
three pounds was caught here.  I spent the remainder of the daylight trying to catch
a bass here.  I worked my way across The Pool, using different flies.  I could not see any
 indication that there were any fish.  After switching to a black wooly bugger, I got my first
hit .  It was a "club size bass (less than 12 inches).  It jumped and fought until it released itself
about twenty feet from shore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home