Tuesday, June 18, 2019

My favorite fly - Turck's Tarantula



Tarantulas are one of my favorite flies.  I like the sound it makes when it is stripped through the
water.  The first time I ever fished this fly was in the Catskill Creek in New York.  A group
of us had traveled there to fish for bass and anything else we could hook.


We spent the day catching Smallies and panfish.  Since that time I have caught Largemouth and even carp with this fly.


This afternoon I was hoping to catch a few bass in Prospect Park.  The spawn is finished and it is
open season on bass.  I fished a big # 6 fly in an effort to overwhelm the greedy bluegills in the
lake.


I was surprised that they were not really deterred by my tactic.  Fish after fish impaled
themselves.  Most never reached my hand but about a third were photographed for their
transgression!


It was a fun afternoon walking around the south end of the lake.  I had to stop frequently
to put extra gink on the fly.


By the time I reached the westside of the lake, I finally hooked a "club size" bass.  There is a cubby hole where these fellows hold.


But back to the main event, greedy BGs.  Splashing, smashing, and sucking in my fly.
Fortunately , the tarantula had a barbless hook, so it was easy to dislodge the hook from the tiny mouths that surrounded it.


                                                  The Turck's Tarantula (green)

 Fly Originator and History:  Guy Turk developed his Tarantula in 1990. George 
 Anderson used this fly to win the Jackson Hole One-Fly Contest that year and 
 it has since become one of the most popular attractor flies in the world.

                                   


An over worked, fiberglass, Fenwick Floater Bum after a day in the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment