Thursday, July 8, 2010

Fly fishing in Prospect Park Lake



A quiet morning on Prospect Park Lake


The last few days it has been so warm that I have not gone out to fish in any water. I have spent about six hours working out this week at my health club. I've done lots of cardio work and lifting. I've been thinking about getting ready to XC ski too. Once the weather is less humid I will begin to roller ski. In the mean time I plan to do some carp and pike fishing this weekend. The new moon cycle occurs this Sunday and usually it means big fish will be active. Two days before and two days after the new moon fishing should be good. Once I catch a pike I can concentrate on carp. There are several spots on the Hackensack and Passaic rivers that hold promise as alternative places to fish during the "dog days of summer".

Fishing in the Great Lakes of NYC is at it's best in the spring and fall when there is warmer weather but not hot weather; which causes the fish to be less active during the day. During the heat of summer I try to look for alternative fisheries, like rivers and the ocean. Not only does the hot summer weather affect the fly angler but it puts an enormous amount of stress on fish.

I'm posting pictures of some of the fish I have caught in Prospect Park.


My favorite fly rod, the March Brown , 9', 7 piece, 2 wt.



Golden shiner taken on an Orvis full flex fiberglass fly rod




A big bass from Prospect Park Lake caught by author and fly angler Randy Kadish.



Pumpkin seed



Golden shiner taken on a #14 nymph & a rare Fenwick 5'3" fiberglass fly rod



Bluegill on a 2 wt fly rod




Large mouth bass taken on a Dahlberg diver





Perch on a 2 wt fly rod


Yes I'm a fan of using ultra light fly fishing equipment whenever possible. I own several ultra light rods made from either fiberglass, graphite or cane. There are more than two dozen fly rods in my collection of various fly rods.

1 comment: