Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A river runs through The Bronx

                            
                         I  went to Shoe String Park in The Bronx last week.  This was my first
                        visit to this part of the Bronx River.  The Bronx River is New York City's
                      only fresh water river.  For decades the river has been the brunt of jokes
                      because of pollution.  I've begun to appreciate the flowers I see as I fish in parks.


                           I don't know the names but I admire their beauty.


                  This is the south entrance to the park.

    
             Another flower near the river.


      A rare black squirrel foraging near  the walking path


         The Bronx River as it enters Shoe String Park.  The river is cleaner now that
         raw sewage is no longer being released into it.  As recent as 2006 waste was being released
         into this water from Westchester County.


     Due to the dry spell we are experiencing the river is very low and not navigable
    in several places.


     The Bronx River has become home to beavers again.


     An egret fishing in the Bronx River.  Clean up work by volunteers has had a positive
     affect on a river destroyed by abuse and neglect.


        There  were once trout here.  Herring have been released into the river in the hope
         that at some point they will return to the river to spawn.


         I noticed small minnows all along the river bank.  I couldn't identify the species but
         the river is cleaner and growing again.


          Here is a fork in the river.  In this part of the river I did see panfish. 


         Look at how clear the water is.  I suspect the best fishing is where the river
        enters the Botanic Park and passes through The Bronx Zoo.  Below the Zoo the water
       is tidal.  Both largemouth and stripe bass can be caught there.  Oyster are being reintroduced
       to help improve the quality of the water.


       The Subway looking north

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home