Saturday, August 24, 2019

Fly Fishing shoot out




My fishing buddy Dennis and I took Anthony to Hughes Lake to get him started with catching carp using ultra light spinning equipment.  My friendship with  Anthony goes back more than a decade.  Normally, he fishes for panfish in Prospect Park and  he is deadly; catching crappie and bass.


It was another very warm day.  Dennis is the best dry fly carp fisher I have ever seen.
He has the ability to anticipate when to set the hook.  I've watched him, on a good afternoon,
catch twenty carp.  More than twice the number I caught on that same afternoon.  He fishes
with ease and confidence.


Here, Anthony, in the khaki shorts and blue shirt is holding the net for Dennis, who is
wearing the gray shirt.  Dennis has hooked another carp(note the water ring).


Anthony was the net man this afternoon.  The efficient use of the net is extremely important
when catching fish.  Poor presentation can spook fish and delay the landing of the fish.
It is important to keep the net low and to net the head of the fish first.


Dennis examining another carp, one of five he caught that afternoon.


       
Anthony took this photo of me looking for carp feeding on the surface.  It was a long, long slow day of trying to catch carp.  Can you spell:  S K U N K?
                            

No comments:

Post a Comment