Monday, May 11, 2015

Large mouth bass on the fly!


First large mouth bass of the season this morning on  a #12 white woolie bugger.  I was surprised because I was not targeting bass.  Prior to catching the bass, I had caught several large golden shiner and tied on the woolie bugger for a change of pace.


Since the fly was bone dry, it floated on the lake surface.  I stripped the line and my fly was attacked
without sinking below the surface.  Almost like when a bass popper is sucked off the surface.
It wasn't until the bass jumped out of the water that I  saw what had taken the fly.


It was a  pleasant surprise to catch such a healthy bass early in the morning.  The last time this happened
I fished a Mickey Finn and my bamboo rod snapped at the ferrule as the rod bent.  But this time my fiberglass rod took all that the bass had to offer ( he jumped a second time).   Fortunately, the small hook held until I landed the fish.  If you look closely you will see the white bugger on the grass just below the jaw of the bass.



No comments:

Post a Comment