Saturday, May 2, 2015

Fly Fishing in Brooklyn


Caught a number of golden shiners this afternoon.  I used a fiberglass fly rod and a Franco
Vivarelli fly reel but the key was a # 12 soft hackle  fly.  Golden Shiner have small mouths for their size and any hook larger than #12 is too big for their little mouths.


They seem to be most active in the spring and fall near the boat house in Prospect Park.  I've developed a technique for keeping them on the hook when I'm fishing for them.  I keep my rod tip down in the water until just my leader and tippet are outside of the rod tip.


If I rise the rod tip before the fly line is inside of the rod tip the shiners manage to slip themselves off the hook.  I don't know why that happens but it does when I fish for them.


I also caught a few Bluegills on the same fly , an orange #12 soft Hackle.


A couple of small crappie  too.


I moved around the area and caught many fish this afternoon using the same fly until it was frazzled




Springtime in the Lullwater area.



No comments:

Post a Comment