Saturday, May 16, 2015

My carp flies


You are looking at my collection of carp flies.  Some float on the surface of the water.
Some sink in the water and lay on the bottom.  A few can either float or sink depending
on if they are treated with a floatant.


I do not tie flies but I have been able to get flies through fly swaps and by looking for
new and different flies on line.  The egg patterns shown above are used either on the surface as
"dry flies" or fished on the bottom.


Deer hair flies are used to imitate bread or dog biscuits.


The white woolie bugger is my all time favorite fly.   I have loss count of how many carp
have taken this fly.  I like to think it is because the red thread appears to be blood flowing
from an injured minnow.


There are many carp flies like these.  They all catch carp.  The flies on the right side
have rubber legs and clouser eyes.  The flies on the left resemble woolie buggers.


Deer hair flies can be tied on a variety of hook sizes.


Two deer hair flies are part of my midge collection of deer hair flies.  The red is a #16
The brown is a size#14


I obtained these flies years ago on e-bay.  In the water they float and look like bread
or a decaying leaf on the surface.


I really enjoy using deer hair flies during the Mulberry season.


Here is another group of flies that can be soaked in floatant and fished as a dry fly.


For the mudding carp these red flies appears to be a juicy worm.   The other is
a river clam fly.

Boobie flies


Worm flies for carp tailing


 More worms


Double deer hair fly on a single hook


Flies for grass carp.


This style of carp fly was developed for carp of The Great Lakes.  The flies are
sturdy, made for meat eating carp!


My wax worms are soft baits that have fooled a number of big carp here in New York City.

No comments:

Post a Comment