Thursday, September 6, 2012

Way up north, The Bronx



Got on the train and set out for The Bronx.  I hadn't fished Van Cortlandt in awhile



I chummed the water and waited.  after an hour or so, I switched flies.  Within 5
minutes my line started to exit the rod tip.  Slowly I set the hook.  The carp never
slowed and the line continued to move out across the lake.  In a effort to keep
the distance between me and the fish from increasing, I followed the carp along the shore.
My backing was strung out now above my head.

This was a strong, powerful fish.  There were bull like head shakes.  The rod bent.
The line was tight.  Slowly I was able  to get the backing and most of the fly line on the
reel.  All attempts to raise the fish in the water column were futile.  I had no choice
 but to hold on and hope that the fish tired.

After a few more runs, I was able to raise the fish and saw it's head.  It was big.
The first three attempts to put him in the net were answered with three more runs.
Every time Dennis  would put the net in front of the carp it would bolt.  I was growing weary
of this but because I was standing near a deck I simply could not move back far enough
to pull the carp into the net.  Finally I was able to move him closer to the net and he went
in.  I weighed him because he had girth and length.  He look to be twenty pounds.
The scale reported him to be only 15.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home