Monday, August 12, 2013

Saddle River Fly fishing


I had intended to fish the Hackensack River today but I took the wrong train and decided
to fish the Saddle River.


Looking west where the Hohokus Brook meets the Saddle River.  This area is fairly shallow


While the water is a little murky in this pool; there are 7 or 8 carp here.  Some are a
one or two kilograms in weight and one or two are much heavier!  I used an egg pattern.
The first carp tried unsuccessfully to break me off on a sunken tree branch.  I was able to
move behind the fish and free the line and in a few minutes bring him ashore for a photo
or two.


The second carp also liked my egg pattern and the perfect drift I got with my cast.  The cast and
drift were text book.  The drift put the fly in front of a cruiser carp and  all the carp had to do
was open his mouth.  He did and that's when he headed for the water fall.  I was really concerned
about the fish going over the falls.  Normally I have enough room to allow for the first run.
I resisted the run and the line went slack.  I believe I pulled the hook out of the fish's mouth.



Here is a "no name" pond it is next to the river and is reported to have bass, perch, blue gill
and catfish.

Pictured is my forty dollar 9 foot, 5/6 weight, 5 piece fly rod.  I really like this rod.
I bought it on e-bay about two years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment