Thursday, August 1, 2013

Fishing The Bronx River


I decided to fish New York City's only fresh water river, The Bronx River.  This river
has been slowly improving.  As late as 2006, raw sewage was being dumped into the river.


Now it is a place to fly fish for bass and carp.  Notice the carp in the lower left hand side
of the picture "snorkeling" ( releasing bubbles).  I tried a number of different flies but didn't
catch anything, this time.  I hope to be able to fish more rivers in August.

6 comments:

  1. Nice Bill, although I dont fish for carp that often, when I do I kind of prefer the rivers over the ponds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are missing an important part of carp fly fishing. There is some really challenging fishing in our lakes and ponds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not disagreeing with the challenging aspect, setting wise I like the rivers a bit better. less people around and to me a bit more scenic!

      Delete
    2. I fished in Roslyn this evening and I was the only one fishing. There were rabbits everywhere. On Staten Island you can walk for miles, in the forest, and not see anyone. The reason I fish urban is I found there is "wild" in the city.
      Maybe next spring I can take you dry fly fishing in Central Park. There are big carp (double digit) feeding on the surface around mulberry time.

      Delete
  3. Love those bubbles, I practically live for them. Great pictures of some.

    Gregg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been known to watch a glass of seltzer for hours during the winter!

    ReplyDelete