Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Bronx



I went to Van Cortlandt Park today. My plan for
the week was to try and catch carp in The Bronx.
I had chummed the area just before leaving
yesterday.




I arrived at about 1:00pm, drank some power
ade and formulated a plan of attack. I added
more chum, made some grenades and put
together my rod. There was no sign that carp
were feeding.



The ducks and geese voluntarily left the area
where I planned to fish; so every thing was in
place.



After 5 minutes my line started to move rapidly
away and across the lake. I watched but didn't
try to slow the fish. My drag was clicking as the line
ran out the rod tip and across the lake. I realized
I would be on the short end of the stick if I didn't
try to move with the carp. As the fish veered to the
north east of the lake, I followed along the lakes
edge. Always try to maintain or decrease the
distance between you and the fish.

The carp turned west for awhile. He was well into
the backing of my reel. The backing looked brand
new. But it too was nearing the end. I started
to apply braking techniques to slow the fish.
I pumped the rod and began to pull the line
back onto the reel.

Finally the fish was showing signs of tiring. A
crowd had gathered as I fought the carp. The
crowd included a sun bather, fishermen and
golfers returning from the adjacent golf course.

I handed my boca grip to one of the golfers. He
managed to grip the carp and raised it out of the
water. It weighed just under 1o lbs.

2 comments:

  1. Very exciting! That one fish was worth the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Bill almost everything up here is chocolate milk. Except the Ro-Jan floated the inlet Tuesday saw huge carp under the RR bridge, but I had a beginner so we stuck to smallies here is a video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATv0LN4cP-o

    ReplyDelete