Friday, July 19, 2013

First Carp since June


It has been extremely hot here for about two weeks.  Every day the air temperature is above
90F.  So I have not found any new places where fish are feeding.


I do know of several spots where fishing can be good in unusual conditions like we are
experiencing this summer.  I took the train to New Jersey to Garfield, New Jersey.


I arrived just before noon.  A walk around the lake revealed that fish, lots of carp were
actively tailing (eating off the bottom).  I picked a spot under a large tree to rest and
to drink a litre of cold water.  On a day like today I drink as much water as possible.

The lake water showed evidence of algae bloom but it was not too bad.   Here and there I saw
carp making swirls on the surface.  In spite of the heat, here at least, carp were actively feeding
during the hottest part of the day.   I put my rod together as quickly as I could.  My first cast
was made with the last fly I fished here.  I used a #12 Elk Hair Caddis.  After I had a few
fish refuse to take it, I switched and used a sub surface egg pattern under an indicator.

This set up worked.  It was almost too easy as I caught a small carp (by my standards).
I moved to an area where I had seen some bigger carp feeding.  I caught an aggressive
but small carp.   My third fish was hooked in the tail when I over reacted to the movement
of my indicator.  I broke the line so that the foul hooked carp could release itself.

I moved back to a spot I had fished earlier.  Here there was a feeding frenzy as all I could see
were the backs of carp.  It didn't take long before I could see my fly line move off across
the lake.  At first it moved slowly and then there was a wake created as the fish accelerated.
Since I'm using the Peux Fulgor reel there is no sound from the reel as the carp forced
the reel to release line. The fight was not long  and I wanted to catch an early train back to NYC.
 I probably could have caught more but  I was happy to have caught three on a very hot summer day. 

3 comments:

  1. Good for you Bill! Nice story, a good place to return I would think.

    Gregg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have about 100 places I can fish in the area. The heat wave should end by sunday. I hope to visit some new places in NJ next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Bill, looks like you had a great outing!

    ReplyDelete