Friday, July 26, 2013

Glen Rock fly fishing


I started the day with 3 new places to fish.  I had no information about these places but each
looked promising on the map.  What I did not expect to find was a place not on the map.
While trying to locate Diamond Brook Park, a man told me of a pond which was fished by
the locals.  He also informed that the lake in Diamond Brook Park is private.


So I headed for the pond with no name.  I was surprised to see that in spite of it's size
it had an aerator; which is a good sign.   I sat for awhile thinking how lucky I was
to find a place that not many know of.  A walk around the pond perimeter revealed that
there were more than just small fish here.  I saw  big bass cruising in the pond.


I fished several spots while trying a number of different flies.   Finally I tried a #12 black stalking bug.
This fly is a little like the bass flies tied by Mark Siddoti, the well known fly fisher.  
After several casts with this fly, I got a hit.  I had already caught and released a bluegill but
I could feel this was not a bluegill.  This fish pulled with authority.  It dove to the bottom of the
pond several times before surrendering to the pressure I applied with my six weight rod.
My reward for fishing this pond was a nice bass.


This place is called Arnold's Pond.  It is feed by Goffle Brook.


When I arrived the park was still being renovated.  Even the paths had not been paved
so that walkers can walk.


But the pond has fish.


Looking north below the pond


I noticed this vulture in the tree above me.

I was literally chased from Gypsy Pond Park by a swarm of repellent resistant mosquitoes.
So I will return to this park when cooler weather prevails.

No comments:

Post a Comment