Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Fly fishing in Brooklyn


We continue to have spectacular warm weather this fall,  This afternoon I went to my local park, Prospect
Park,  for some power fishing ( less than 120 minutes).  Bluegills are active and I was able to catch a few
until it grew too dark to see. 


Prospect Park is where I learned to fly fish.  It took me many hours of lessons and practice before
I felt comfortable casting under trees.  Now I tell people that, if necessary, I could cast in my  clothes
closet.  All I need to be able to do is form a "D" loop and cast.


It has been months since I last fished here.  The lake is about a kilometer from my home.
You can see from the pictures I took that it was not windy at all.  I like fishing here in the evening because most people are leaving the park as I arrive.  I enjoy walking the shore line of the lake as I fly fish.  Most fly fishers have not learned how to roll cast or use Spey casting with a single hand rod.  The lack of these
skills limits the places where a fly fisher can cast because of trees and people.

The lake allows catch and release fishing only as do all the lakes in New York City.  The lakes managed
by the New York City Parks Department are not restocked on a regular basis.  The fish in the lakes and ponds are wild.  Prospect Park Lake has Bass, Bluegills, Carp, Catfish, Crappie, Golden Shiners
and Pickerel.   


No comments:

Post a Comment