Sunday, June 30, 2013

Duck Pond Fly Fishing for Carp


This is called duck pond but the whole time I was there I only saw two ducks.  Good.
This is a very shallow pool.


However even with 3 aerators the water is murky.  This may be due to the carp that
are present.


Duck Pond also has Green Sunfish


A look at my March Brown Travel Fly Rod.  It is a 7 piece, 8' 6", six weight.  It can fit
almost anywhere.


I caught about a dozen of these  little aggressive  Green Sunfish.  I used a #10 white nobler
Think of it as a woolie bugger shaped like a torpedo with a tail.


I did manage to hook a big carp that was tailing here.


I did not have a net man today so I was not able to land this one.





The green sunfish (Lepomis cyanellus) is a species of freshwater fish in the sunfish family (family Centrarchidae) of order Perciformes. A panfish popular with anglers, the green sunfish is also kept as an aquarium fish by hobbyists. They are usually caught by accident, while fishing for other game fish. Green sunfish can be caught with live bait such as nightcrawlers, waxworms, and mealworms. Grocery store baits such as pieces of hot dog or corn kernels can even catch fish. Small lures have been known to occasionally catch green sunfish.
The green sunfish is said to have polarization sensitive vision not found in humans and other vertebrates mostly which helps in enhancement of visibility of target objects in scattering media, using a method called polarization difference imaging

2 comments:

  1. Cool Bill! Nice looking little pond. Greens are an awesome looking largemouth sunfish, aggresive. Wish we had more here.

    Gregg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't keep them off my fly. too bad they are so small.

    ReplyDelete