Sunday, June 2, 2013

Fly fishing for carp in New Jersey


It was a really hot day so I went to New Jersey to fish for carp.  On days like this I like to sit
for awhile under a shady tree and drink a lot of cool liquids before I begin to fish.


Due to day light saving time and the sun setting later, I can fish until almost nine o'clock in the
evening.  I hadn't intended to fish until dark but that is what happened.  I arrived at the lake
after 3:00 pm.   I used a #10 white woolie bugger.  It was a brand new fly, so I let it float on
 the water as if it were a dry fly.  It looked like a piece of bread floating on the water.  I wanted
 to see if a  carp would take it   After about ten minutes I had a carp take the fly  but I
was unable to set the hook.  For the next three hours no fish.

 I moved from the shallow end of the lake to an area where fish "cloop" as the sun sets.  The water is
deeper there.  Carp had begun to feed on the surface by the time I arrived.  I had some dry
cat food to use as chum.  I chummed in a way that allowed the wind to push the cat food
towards the "clooping" carp.  As the carp detected the floating pet food, a feeding frenzy began.

I set up by putting on a #12 brown deer hair pellet fly.  I made dozens of cast to feeding carp but it
was more like a game of "wack a mole".  I could not get my fly to where the next carp rose
to eat from the surface.  In fact, It looked like they could spot my fly and deliberately avoided it.

It was after 8:00pm and I wanted to take the 8:41 pm back to New York City.
My fly box is loaded with deer hair flies from #14 to #4 in different colors.  So I changed to
a white # 12 deer hair.   I allowed the fly to remain among the dry cat food floating on the surface.
Sometimes this will do the trick.  I guess it was just before 8:30 when I saw my white fly disappear.
The fly line began to move smoothly across the lake; "fish on".

I've been using my new semi automatic the Peux Fulgor.  It is surprisingly smooth and  whisper quiet.
The only sound I could hear in the twilight was that of the 8:41 to New York City as it arrived
at the station across the street from the lake.  It took minutes more before I was able to bring
the head shaking carp to hand.  By the time I had packed up my rod it was nearly nine o'clock.
The next train to New York came at 9:30 pm.

3 comments:

  1. Nice Bill, that's a nice carp, congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's all cool Bill! Given the arival and departure times for public transportation, and the vagracies of carp themselves, you did work for it. I have carp flee bread imaitations we use UNDER water as well, they get the idea.

    Gregg

    ReplyDelete